Fear.




Fear.

I've struggled with my self identity throughout this past year of my life. Not knowing what career I want to embark on, not truly certain if Miami is the place where I wanted to call my new home, and learning how to be alone in the midst of it all. However, I've noticed is that the one thing keeping me unsure about all of these things, is fear. Fear of failing, fear of rejection, fear of the unknown. But if you really stop to think about it...What is fear? It's all made up if you're being honest with yourself. A child is only afraid of the dark because of their inability to see around them. We put off asking that person out, we hold out on applying for that job, we neglect living out our dreams all because of ...fear.

So why do we allow fear to dictate our lives?

I heard a quote today and it says, "you are not a product of your circumstances, you are a product of your choices."  I believe this to be true because no matter where we are placed, it's ultimately our own decision on how we react. We are given rules and guidelines early in life, but once we get older we begin to form our own ideas and develop our own set of morals to follow. I believe that it is up to you to branch out and begin your own process. To start to live by your own guidelines.

I've found myself so intrigued with flowers growing through the sidewalk lately. It's so poetic to me how they manage to break through all those layers of concrete, yet, stretch their petals high to the sky as if they've never known a struggle. Below the concrete is darkness, warmth, a place of security - this can often reflect a situation or surroundings you have adapted to that you feel most comfortable in. Whereas, the concrete represents all the hurdles and barriers you have to overcome in life. But just above the surface, when you finally emerge, is light, new beginnings, and adventure.

If you let fear dictate your life then you will be satisfied with staying below the concrete, stuck in the same place with no where to grow. But if you branch out and take the risk, you might find yourself in a new light embarking on a completely different journey.

If we're being honest. The only thing to fear is fear itself. Don't allow it to stop you from being great. Stop worrying about the consequences and just take the leap, who knows you might find out that there was nothing to be afraid of after all. During our own branching out process, we might just encourage and inspire others to do the same.

My writing process was inspired by this Apple Music playlist:

Black Coffee Essentials by Apple Music on @AppleMusic.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/black-coffee-essentials/idpl.1d2cdde3435644b4ba24c5d622a6213e


Comments