Unplugged: Social Media Fast pt. 2



Happy 2018 everyone! Is it just me or has this been the longest January the world has ever seen? It literally feels like we've been in 2018 for well over a month, but I digress. I hope that you haven't neglected the resolutions or goals that you set out to accomplish this year - I mean honestly, it's still the first month. But if you have don't fret - we've got the rest of the year to get our shit together!

This year, like the past few years, I decided to partake in fast to start off the year right. Like my college pastor always said, If you give God your first and you give Him your best ...then He'll bless the rest. So simply put, that's what I decided to do. This year I decided to fast from social media and meat. You would think by this point giving up meat would be easy for me, considering the only meat I really eat is chicken ...but it was definitely a challenge. But I can't even lie, giving up social media presented a whole new level of difficulty this year.

Although, it was hard I'm proud to say that I survived ...well almost. I slipped up a few times and logged into Instagram to see what my nigga was posting, but I can honestly say that besides the occasional stalking - I didn't feel like I was missing anything. I found various blog sites to get my daily dose of news and celebrity gossip - mostly just trying to keep up with Cardi B and Drake. I found new vegan/vegetarian restaurants nearby to help offset my desire for chicken. I can't say that I'm quite ready to give up meat yet, but once I have a few more chicken wings I can boldly say that I will be ready to give it up altogether.

Overall, this fast was beneficial to me. Not only did my relationship with God strengthen, but I was the most productive I've been in these few days, than I have been in a few months. I managed to produce a semi-decent resume to send out to companies. I've been able to let go of people who don't hold value in my life. I started working on a script for a web-series with one of my friends. I was able to land an internship. I have been able to adjust to a normal sleeping schedule instead of aimlessly scrolling until I fall asleep. Ultimately, I've been able to get back to myself. I haven't felt the need to show off so much what I'm doing, but actually make some moves to make shit happen.

It's not only about giving something up, but it's about picking up things along the way. You'll realize all the time you've been wasting scrolling thru social media that could've been used towards something more productive. You'll find out new things about yourself because you have now stumbled onto a copious amount of free time. You might find new hobbies or find more enjoyable ways to spend your free time.

If you've never indulged on a fast - I encourage you to try one. You can google some popular ones to see what works for you or you can make one up for yourself (but don't go easy on yourself).

I'm not saying that it won't be hard, but it will definitely be worth it.

Comments