I Decided: Intro



I Decided. Curated by the artist who goes by the name of Big Sean. Somewhere between the vibrant beats and strategic bars, I found the inspiration and courage I had been longing for over the past few years to start my blog. Throughout this album there are thought provoking lyrics that help you learn a little more about Big Sean. However, somewhere in between these I learned a little more about myself...

So whenever I had my epiphany that I would finally start my blog, I realized that I could collaborate my ideas along with albums that are currently out. Music has always been one of my favorite outlets when it comes to expressing myself whether this be by: simply listening to it, quoting lyrics on Twitter, or blasting it aloud in the car and singing along to it, I've always found myself drifting into a state of tranquility while listening to lyrics delicately put together by various artist.

If you've listened to I Decided then you've noticed that there isn't much to the first track on the album, the only words on the track are:

God, I have been doing the same thing in the same place, working the same job for 45 years. You know that. It just flew by. What am I really even doing? God, I know we rarely talk, but every day I wake up I feel like, I feel like I blew it with my family, with her, these kids around me don't have no one to look up to. Should have been me. This job ain't me, man. This ain't what I'm supposed to be doing in my life, man.

If you ask me, this whole track sounds like a list of regrets from a man who realizes that he hasn't put his gifts that God gave him to use. It's always easy to point out faults in others, but when it comes to pointing the finger at yourself it seems that it takes a while before we actually get around to it. Just look, it took 45 years before he woke up and realized that this isn't what he's supposed to be doing with his life. 

This made me point the finger at myself. 

What have I done with the twenty-three years that God has blessed me with on this Earth? How have I impacted the lives of others: my family, my friends, a stranger that I crossed on the street. Life is more than about just existing, it's about living, making others feel your presence. Using the gifts that God gave you and making the most of them. We don't know how much time we are allotted, but we can strive every day to make the best of each moment. The vow I made to myself after this first track consisted of the following: 
  1. I will always put God first.
  2. I will celebrate life every chance I get.
  3. I will serve others at every opportunity given.
  4. I will never settle, if that means stepping out of my comfort zone, then so be it.
I'm half way to forty-five, so what will I do with the next twenty-three years of my life? How can I impact the life of others? When I look back, will I have a list of regrets or will I have a list of accomplishments? Until you make a conscious effort to impact the life of each person that you come in contact with then you are just drifting through life. Today you can make a difference. How will you change today to make a better tomorrow?

Over the course of my blog will be me applying lyrics from various albums and relating them to my own life experiences. Hopefully along the way, you will find your inspiration as well.

Comments